Monday, March 8, 2010

Sea Olympics

Monday, March 8th.

What a day yesterday was. By far the most important all day happening was our Sea Olympics which took place all over the ship though some of the sports might have been frowned upon in Vancouver. The students had screaming, yelling, bouncing fun....what energy as they supported their teams and displayed their considerable talents.

I didn't take photos because I remembered from last year that it is almost impossible to see what's going on the crowds are so dense. However for our mutual friends I think Liz might have managed a few. Audie wasn't feeling at all well with what I call the "ship bug" of coughing, infected sinuses and post nasal drip. I think it must circulate in the air conditioning system. Last year I suffered three bouts so brought my own antibiotic this time and after five days of it before Nah Trang started myself off and was soon OK...thank goodness. Anyway I kept Audrey company on our patio while Liz took in the morning's games and then watched them myself in the afternoon.

George earned a well earned accolade in the final ceremonies last night when they thanked him for spending four hours on deck (and it was hot) refereeing and judging events. He slept well last night.

We were both up early to see the Nicobar and Andaman Islands as we sailed close to them. It is always wonderful to see land when you're at sea: it gives a sense of community and always looks so attractive and tempting. We sailed close to an old shipwreck on the rocks surrounding one of the smaller islands, (there are 250 of them in a long chain between Mayanmar (Burma) and Sumatra.) and near a pretty white sanded beach. The indiginous populations of the islands, which are governed by India, are unique in DNA, appearance and languages, of which there were thirteen with only four remaining. One of George's classes deals with "The Death of Language" and these islands are a prime example. The last speaker of one of them died a few weeks ago and had had no one to speak to for 25 years. There are many of us who would not have survived as long I think!!

Judging by the rust on the shipwreck I would say it was between 20 and 40 years old. It had obviously carried passengers and I do wonder what the story is. (Google here I come) It looked so isolated and forlorn leaning slightly into the rocks...I felt sad for the old lady. I think the island was probably too small to have inhabitants.

Yesterday and today have been idyllic sea days: a very gentle breeze, bright sunshine and a calm blue sea. I can think of nowhere in the world I would rather be than at sea on days like these...I feel so very fortunate. If anyone had told me two years ago that I should be sailing back to India and South Africa twice again in my life I should have said they were mad. I would have been so happy to think that this journey, which we made so many times in my childhood, would be repeated into old age! I think of my parents often, they did it far more often than I during their married life....they would so enjoyed this luxury! Our cabins were tiny in those days with 4 bunks and the loo and bath shared down the corridor.

Enough reminiscing.... time to meditate before the 5 pm get together in the lounge bar. Liz has been invited to have dinner with the Captain tonight but not Audie! Let's hope her turn comes with ours so that she feels comfortable. All Life Long Learners and Faculty (with hangers-on!) and SAS Staff are invited to do this at some time during the voyage.

More later.....

Have just been to a lecture on a solution to the US financial crisis and returned to our cabin to watch the wonderful movie of Copenhagen...what a cast! Must be up for an 8 am performance class so off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment